Lives are the main resource in the game. They are required to play levels. Each life gives you one try at completing a level. If you pass the level, you retain the life, but if you lose, then one life is deducted.
Lives restore automatically over time, and you can see a timer showing the time remaining in the top right-hand corner of the game, where the number of lives you have is displayed. Extra lives can be obtained from your friends on Facebook who also play Clockmaker, or from other players in societies created directly in the game itself.
Rubies, on the other hand, are less common. They are the most valuable resource in the game and can be used to make additional in-game purchases. Rubies can be obtained:
- as a daily gift;
- for completing special events;
- for completing stages in season events;
- lifting a curse from and completing a building in a town;
- for synchronizing the game with your Facebook account;
- for coming back to the game after a long absence;
- by buying packs in the game bank and in-game offers.